Saturday, December 29, 2007

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Hey. Why don't I just open up my skull and show you my psychosis?

Unfortunately I can't (not without killing myself) but what I can do is give you this video, which features scenes from the movie Breakfast at Tiffanys.

Out of all the movies ever made, this is the one that probably means the most to me. I saw it for the first time when I was in love for the first time, with the girl who first broke my heart (but in doing so, made it whole again.)

It's the story of a failed writer, who comes to New York to seek his fortune. And what does he find? The most amazing, troubled, crazy girl by the name of Holly Golightly.

George Peppard's character has an enormous amount of me in it. Not just his charm and his career as a writer - but also the way he changed from being a tool of other people into being a man in charge of his own destiny.

And Holly?

Well, the girl I fell in love with while watching this movie turned out not to be her at all. She was far too together. Too organised. Too inflexible.

It took a move to New York itself before I'd meet the real Holly Golightly, who was everything she was in the movie, only more so. I lost my heart to her and in doing so, this movie became more than just a movie and actually became a mirror of a chapter of my life.

Now I live in New York. I'm living Breakfast at Tiffanys as it would be five years after in finished. And while that leaves me pale and pudgy (I'd been misspelling it podgy) it at least lives me living what was once my most treasured dream.

What makes me sure I'll succeed at 'Operation Sexy 2008' is the knowledge that dreams do come true - if only you believe in them enough.

And the girl I'd once mistaken for Holly?

I'm ashamed to say I think of her each and every day. Not with regret. With gratitude. Because it was her very un-Holly-like qualities that drove me to move to America and grasp the dream for myself.

I wonder what she thinks when she watches Breakfast at Tiffanys? Knowing that the streets and the brownstones and the yellow cabs are now part of my world?

I'm ashamed to admit, I hope she feels jealous.

No comments: