Friday, December 28, 2007

Just what the hell is sexy, anyway?

According to sources, women consider five attributes to be sexy in a man.
  • Self Confidence
  • Sense of humor
  • Intelligence
  • Status
  • Style
  • Exciting
Now, in my project to 'get sexy' for 2008, I'm not on the lookout for another woman (I'm quite happy with the one I have, actually) but I am going to take on board what they say.

Which means 'getting sexy' is going to involve far more than just losing a few pounds.

Sexy Is as Sexy Does

The first step of my 'getting sexy' project, therefore, should be to identify the areas that need work and build on them. So let's look at the list:

Self Confidence

This is a weak spot of mine. I won't go into the reasons behind it, but I lack confidence and that 'oomph' which drives people forward. I used to have it - back when I was younger. I think a few years of marriage and a few extra pounds have kind of worn it away.

So I need to become more self confident - or at least give off the 'air' of being more self confident. How can I do that?

I've got a feeling it'll take guts and effort. One of the oldest principles in life is to act in the manner to which you want people to see you. Pretend to be self confident, for example, and people will see you as self confident.

So for 2008, I've got to pretend to be self confident and maybe, after a while, all that pretending won't be pretending at all.

Sense of Humour

I like to think I'm pretty sorted here. I've got a good sense of humour and a sharp, fast wit. I guess my lack of confidence back when I was growing up inspired me to act in a 'likeable' way and there's nothing more likeable than somebody who's funny.

Intelligence

This is a funny one.

I don't think I'm particually intelligent - certainly I didn't get much success academically. But I am sharp, quick and - most importantly of all - I tend to give off the impression of being intelligent. It's the spectacles and posh British accent.

But certain 'intelligent' traits of mine could be harnessed and improved upon. My interest in history, food, wine and languages. My passable French could we racked up a notch. I could continue to write. I can improve on my intelligence.

Status

This should be number one, really.

And I don't say that in a bitter way. It's human nature, really, for women to be attracted to a man who's succesful and powerful. Women want strong, dominent fathers for their babies and their attraction to rich, succesful men is no different from cave women wanting to mate with the alpha male in their tribes.

So while I'm in a fair position in life, I can see that a vital aspect of Operation Sexy will be to improve my financial and social standing. How I'm going to do this, I couldn't tell you - but power and wealth are the sexiest things of all.

After all, that's how people like Donald Trump get laid.

Style

Another interesting one - and I think I have this covered.

Or, at least, I thought I did.

I used to wear sharp suits, jackets and the whole nine yards. My nickname was GQ - as in the fashion magazine. But marriage has let my standards slip. Now I've got a beautiful wife, I feel I don't need to dress up for her any more and that's not quite fair to me or her.

So Operation Sexy 2008 needs to involve some pretty serious style upgrades. I've got to look like a million dollars every day. No sweat pants or dirty jeans for me. From now on, I'm going to roll out of the house looking like Cary Grant every morning.

Exciting

This is the one, isn't it? That magical element that makes somebody attractive and irresistable. That air of mystery. The whiff of danger.

It's why women love action heros and lust after James Bond. It's related in some way to the 'status' elements that attract women to an 'alpha' male - but there's more to it than that.

This final attractive element reveals a lust for life. A willingness to be impulsive, reckless and romantic. Everything else in this list is logical and straightforward.

But excitement? That lifts a man from merely 'attractive' to actually 'sexy.'

It's time to get my pulse racing in 2008.

No comments: